Nuh-na-na-na-nu-na-na. Nuh-na-na-na-nu-na - get fizzy with it! Boy, aren't you glad you hung in there for that? I'm nothing if not a product of the 90's.
I think, at this point in our lives, we've all been to Lush (or any bath store/section) and have seen a beautiful assortment of bath fizzies. They smell good, they're colorful, and (most importantly) they're fun! It's like that 3rd grade science experiment where you create your own volcano...but in your bath! And it's not just adults that like them, either. I know at least one little boy that thinks they're the bomb (hehe).
Okay, I'm done with the references to the 90's for now.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cup citric acid crystals
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/4-1/2 cup oil of your choosing
- 4-6 drops of essential oils
- 2-4 drops of coloring (optional)
- Add baking soda, citric acid, and corn starch to a large bowl.
- Add the oil, a bit at a time, thoroughly mixing it in. You need just enough oil to be able to form a ball without it falling apart. If you use much more than that, they will not set up.
- If you are making multiple scents, you will want to separate them into different bowls at this point.
- Add 2-3 drops of oil to each bowl or 4-6 drops if you are only making one scent.
- If you are adding coloring, do so now. Mix thoroughly.
- Press the "dough" into silicone molds or form into balls with your hands and place on wax paper.
- Let sit overnight to harden and then carefully remove from the mold by turning it upside down and gently shaking immediately over wax paper.
Some will break, but don't lose heart. Save the crumbles to dump into your next bath - they still fizz and smell delicious. Then give away the ones that maintained their shape as gifts...or not.